What is Google Tag Manager(GTM)?
In a nutshell Google Tag Manger is exactly as the product name itself. A manager of tags & pixels designed for you to house everything in one place. It’s free and you don’t even need a developer to use it.
Here is a more fancy explanation; Google Tag Manager is a free tool that makes it easy for marketers to add and update website tags — including conversion tracking, site analytics, remarketing, and more—with just a few clicks, and without needing to edit your website code. Take a quick look at how easy it is to set up an account and manage your tags.
Ok great, How does it help me?
- Track the actions people are taking on your website
- Free tool to manage all of your pixels & tags
- Easy to use interface to install standard pixels
- No need to hire a developer
- Integrations with other Google products/services
- DIY approach
- Debug your setup of tags & triggers
- Did I mention it was free?
The benefits are endless and we can go on for days. In short, get Google Tag Manager.
All this info is nice & all, but how do I set it up?
It’s relatively easy but this is where you may need a developer to get initially set up. Follow the steps below to get your account started.
- Create a gmail account unless you already have one
- Sign up for Google Tag Manager at https://www.google.com/analytics/tag-manager/
- Create an account on GTM using your site
- Enter site name and select web for tracking your website
- Accept GTM terms
- Copy & paste container tag and install in your websites backend/sourcecode
- You’re all set!
Once you’ve completed this process you will be able to track whatever your heart desires. GTM has many integrations that come straight out of the box which make it useful if you are pro Google. However, like all tools it does have limitations and doesn’t necessarily play nice with other platforms like ahem…. Facebook, Bing. This is where it gets a bit more advanced, but GTM will still provide the functionality and reliability you need to set up any pixel. In short, Google Tag Manager is a great way of using a free tool that has massive impacts on how you manage the traffic on your website.